Monday, April 21, 2014

My Child, My Book

I watched my oldest five children on the trampoline the other day, and I kept thinking "Who's going to the ER tonight?"

Thankfully, no one did. But I noticed how I let my younger children do things that I would not have let my older children try when they were young. Mostly, this was due to my growth and learning as a parent, and not a function of the childrens' behaviors.

That got me thinking about how learning to write a novel is much like learning to raise a child. I was working on a new manuscript at the time, and couldn't help drawing some obvious comparisons.

(I'm sure many people have noted this, but since I've never read a post about it before, I'll give it my spin.)

 
My Child, My Book.

1.  Committing to the idea of my first child is exciting and maybe a little bit scary - but mostly fun.

2.  Pregnancy can be difficult, or not. (Like a first draft, no?)

3.  Once that baby's born, I'm all "LOOK AT THIS WONDERFUL PIECE OF PERFECTION WHICH I CREATED!"

4.  I discover that the baby poops, burps, spits up and requires frequent feedings and cleanings.

5.  As the baby matures, so I grow and learn about parenting.

6.  I want to show off my kid too soon.

7.  I want other people to give me positive feedback when my child is good.

8.  When my child makes mistakes, I want to know why. I want to help my child improve.

9.  I want my child to be polite, well spoken, intelligent, strong, and kind.

10. I ask other parents for advice and tips, especially when encountering problems with my child.

11. Each of my children will be different, but should share common principles.

12. Each child is part of me, but different.

13. I will do everything I can to prepare each of my children for release into the world.


Although I become a more experienced parent the more children I have, I still must apply what I've learned if I'm going to do them justice.

I owe my children love, discipline, and overall, my best effort as a parent.

As you "raise your children", ask lots of questions, seek all the answers, but let your children be themselves.

No comments: